Made in USA and Canada by local artisans

Made in USA and Canada by local artisans

Browse Locally Made Items
Made in USA and Canada by local artisans

Back in Colonial England, imported goods were synonymous with the high class. The expense of shipping silk from China or chocolate from the Americas was such that only the rich could afford them.

Nowadays, it’s the opposite. Many consumer goods are manufactured overseas in assembly-line factories where labor is cheap. The goods are then shipped in large quantities to North America to be sold. This keeps the shipping cost down, but nothing can stop the detrimental effect of freight transport on the environment.

Let’s take a look at a couple of reasons to buy your products from local artisans rather than factories overseas.

Being Environmentally Conscious

Being Environmentally Conscious

We’ve already alluded to this, so let’s expand on it. We’ve only got one planet to live on so we really need to take care of it if we want to have clean air and oceans for future generations. Shipping billions of tons of goods across the ocean is not sustainable. The ships burn large amounts of fossil fuels, contributing to the buildup of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and the diminishing ozone layer.

Around 7,000 big ships carrying consumer goods sail the ocean blue each year. On top of that, the fossils fuel needed to run the ships is also hauled across the sea. A big ship can burn 110 tons of fuel in one day.

Turns out that the cheap handbag you bought created quite a bit of pollution just to get to you.

Carbon emissions from burning fuel and other human activities have increased global temperatures by about 1 degree Celsius since pre-industrial times. That doesn’t sound like much now, but if that trend is left unfettered, this planet of ours could get uncomfortably hot — maybe too hot to support life.

There are many companies that make misleading claims about selling “eco-friendly” products. That’s not us. We want to be a part of the solution, not the problem.

To that end, we collaborate with vendors located in North America for 80% of our products. The other 20% includes our bamboo products that are sourced from the bamboo forests of Vietnam, our handblown glass products from Poland and our natural cleaning products that are made in the UK and Sweden.

Support the Local Economy

Support the Local Economy

Buying local not only cuts down on transportation-related pollution and costs but also supports the local economy. A thriving economy creates more jobs and allows more people in your neighborhood to enjoy a higher standard of living.

On top of that, your neighbors get the opportunity to make a living doing something they love. We choose vendors who are passionate about their products and pour their heart and soul into making their pieces. Many of our items become heirloom pieces because of their beauty and durability.

Buying from Local Artisans Through Itemerie

Buying from Local Artisans Through Itemerie

So whether you’re looking for hand-crafted porcelain dinner plates for your home or beauty products that are good for both you and the environment, you can find them on our shelves.

We here at Itemerie are dedicated to connecting skilled artisans with consumers. We help artisans expand their customer base while giving consumers a choice of lovely products that don’t have to be shipped across the ocean to get to you.

Feel free to browse our selection of quality goods today!

Distant Country Vs Locally Made

  • Higher Transportation-Related Pollution
  • Less Control over the Quality
  • Less Control Over Manufacturers' Work Conditions
  • Doesn't Support Local Economy
  • Less Information on the Product's Origin
  • Lower Pollution Norms
  • Unsustainable
  • Support Local Economy
  • More Information Available on the Product's Origin
  • Pollution Norms are More Strict
  • More Sustainable
  • Higher Work Condition Norms
  • Less Pollution
  • Better Control Over the Quality

Shipping items from overseas greatly increases their carbon footprint. Our products are sold in Canada and the US. To keep it local, 75% of our products are locally made in these two countries. In this way, not only do we avoid transportation costs and carbon emissions, but also we support local artisans, putting money into the local economy.

What's more, you get a high-quality item. Our vendors put more care into each piece than a large, faceless, manufacturing company puts into their entire inventory.

Shop Locally Made Items